Magazine articles, reviews, and essays(that are not scientific articles)
Articles and reviews
A computer science technique could help gauge when the pandemic is 'over'. The Conversation, 20 March 2022.
Republised widely, including by The Next Web and The Raw Story
How we're making the tools to connect isiXhosa and isiZulu to the digital age. The Conversation, 12 March 2018.
Republised widely, including by News24/CityPress, Mail & Guardian, and Phys.org
- Book review "Artificial Intelligence: The Basics" by Kevin Warwick. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 2012, 26(3): 351-354.
- Dirty wars, databases, and indices. Peace & Conflict Review, 2009, 4(1):75-78.
- Book review "The Changing Dynamic of Cuban Civil Society" by Gray and Kapcia. Latin American Politics and Society, 2008, 50(4): 189-192. preprint
- Interview with the Hizbollah webmaster. Sesame, 2003, 217:22.
- The role of Pakistan in deterring terrorism. An Focal, 2003, 13,11:24.
Selection of blog posts in the 'general interest' category(that are relatively popular by number of visits)
- Digitizing my cassettes of international folk dancing music; 10 May 2012
- The complexity of... coffee; 3 August 2010
- An analysis of culinary evolution; 30 July 2009
- Failing to recognize your own incompetence; 25 Aug 2008
Selection of blog posts on reading and writing
- Riffling through readability metrics; March 19, 2022
- A handful of memoirs and autobiographies for computer science; Feb 9, 2022
- Exploring book publishing logistics; 28 Nov 2021
- Some experiences on making a textbook available; 27 April 2019
- My gender-balanced book reviews overall, yet with much fluctuation; 18 Sept 2016
- A few notes and tips for forming new words; 16 July 2013
- A selection of book reviews of general non-fiction books:
- "Sorry, not sorry" by Haji Dawjee 16 May 2018
- "Gastrophysics" by Charles Spence; 31 Dec 2017
- "Say again? The other side of South African English" by Jean Branford and Malcolm Venter; 21 Dec 2016
- "Insurmountable simplicities—thirty-nine philosophical conundrums" by Achille Varzi and Roberto Casati 3 March 2008
send an email to me.