C. Maria Keet
Dr. C. Maria Keet
School of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Tel: (+27) 031 260 1035
Fax: (+27) 031 260 7001
Blog: keet blog
email: keet at ukzn.ac.za
CV, short bio and publications
****Browse to research for an annotated version of this page, with the usual teaching info, organisational activities, etc.; or choose "Other topics" if you're interested in things like red wine, Escher, book reviews, some photos and other not-quite-random themes.****
- Logic-based knowledge representation, focussed on representing biological knowledge (biological reality)
- conceptual modelling & ontology languages (Description Logics (& OWL), Object-Role Modeling, etc.)
- relations in (bio-)ontologies, such as parthood and other part-whole relations
- Ontology development
- Biological data characteristics
Brief outline research projects
I am currently working mainly on extensions of ontological and knowledge representation aspects of granularity--including part-whole relations, abstraction, and modularization--and on formal (temporal) conceptual data modelling. In addition to theoretical foundations of topics in ontology engineering, I lead or am involved in application development of some of the ontology engineering methods and occasionally conduct experiment. Specific subject domains for the AI application areas include cell biology, ecology, and peace research.
Read more about current research projects and/or check the Publications page for concrete results.
Teaching (in 2013)
- Ontologies and Knowledge Bases (COMP720). 16 credits BSc in CS Honours course, 2011, 2012, 2013. (similar to last year; some info here)
- Databases [link to CS Moodle page] (COMP306), 16 credits, 3rd year BSc in CS module, UKZN, 2012, 2013.
- Computing for Natural Scientists (COMP106), 16 credits, semester 2, 2013; Lecturer.
- Honours project topics (have been distributed upon registration)
Some material that may be useful for doing your project:
Thesis Project Management
- previous courses
(Dr.ir.drs.) C. Maria Keet (PhD, MSc, MA, BSc(hons)) is a Senior Lecturer with the School of Computer Science, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. She focuses on logic-based knowledge representation, ontology, and Ontology in general and as applied to biological data and -knowledge, which has resulted in some 40 peer-reviewed publications, most of them as main or sole author. She was involved in the EU FET FP6 TONES and EU IRSES FP7 Net2 projects, coordinated the development of the WONDER system for intelligent access to biological data, and has served in over 25 Program Committees of international workshops and conferences and reviewed for 14 journals.
Before her employment at UKZN, Maria was a non-tenured Assistant Professor (ricercatore a tempo determinato) at the KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy. She obtained a PhD in Computer Science at the KRDB Research Centre in 2008, following a BSc(honours) 1st class in IT & Computing from the Open University UK in 2004, and 3.5 years work experience as systems engineer in the IT industry with its vocational training (MSCE, ASE, ITIL). In addition to computer science, she obtained an MSc in Food Science (Microbiology) from Wageningen University and Research Centre, the Netherlands, in 1998, and an MA 1st class in Peace & Development Studies from the University of Limerick, Ireland, in 2003.